Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Metaphors? Totally not necessary.

I really don’t have much to say about this production chapter.

I mean, before we can do anything we have to have a foundation…I agree. However, Baron suggests that we have to have all three parts figured out before we make any decisions about graphics or page content. I disagree with that because I don’t know about you…but when I have a good idea, I go right to the computer and flesh out the idea. None of this “oh I have to figure out all three parts before I work on graphics crap.” Because if I have a good idea and I’m inspired by something, it may help to shape the technology I use, the structure I envelop my work in, and certainly my visual concepts.

Types of portfolios include instant, static, simple, or complex. Ok, instant is too fast and boring to me…seems like an employer would skip over this, even though I wonder sometimes if some in this field are capable of creating anything more than that. Then there’s static and the use of frames. Again, probably too simple. Sure, you want things to be easy for you, but frames aren’t always a great solution, especially when it would take what? An extra five minutes to slice that same page up in image ready? Now you have two completely separate pages instead of having to use frames…which have a tendency to screw up in Dreamweaver MX, I might add.

Simple seems like the choice of champions here. Not because that’s what I did, but because you want your artwork to do the talking…not the site. The way I look at it is that we don’t need a 30 minute intro flash animation followed by a 2 minute segue from one page to the next. It’s just not necessary. I see using a portfolio website as portfolio piece as not entirely necessary. I can see why people would do it, but if the actual work you’re putting in is good enough, shouldn’t that be enough to get you the job? Maybe I’m off base here…I’m not sure.

The whole metaphor thing kind of bugs me, especially because this book is probably mass produced and used my many colleges/designers. Let’s think about this….we’re supposed to come up with original ideas, and yet you’re giving us metaphors that we can use to become original? Well no matter what you do, then, you’re creating similar metaphors.

Sure, nothing is truly original, but it seems by adhering to gallery, spec sheet/brochure, outreach, narrative, diary, or experience metaphors, you’re creating cookie cutters. You’re using the same formula for everyone…that’s not at all original and hence, it bugs me.

Oh but wait…you can use more than one metaphor. YES! I’ll dance in my chair now. Oh no, sorry, the plasticity of using multiple metaphors isn’t all that flexible…you’re still adhering to something other people have done before. Where’s the originality that’s supposed to be a part of this profession?

1 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger djvecchitto said...

my metaphor for this post is WISEASS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home