Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Cha Cha Chaaaaannnge (and writing, too!)

Chapter 17...it's over.

Roz talks about change being the only constant, and how our choices will shape the creative challenges we allow ourselves to face. It does seem like quite a challenge in a creative career to achieve continuous progress and advancement.

As a matter of fact our third IDD candidiate, Thomas, talked about this a little bit. He asked: Why the hell would you guys want to be graphic designers? We all laughed, but had our own unique reasons why this field was so important to us.

But he also mentioned the burn out/turn over rate being about five years. And I can easily understand that. It's a tough business...being creative on demand, that is.

I've always found that the designers creative process offers something that can't be found in any other profession...I also believe that the ability to impress yourself is one of the greatest things that you can do. ESPECIALLY as you get older!

After all, keeping up is, for the most part, the hardest chore.

The business keeps changing, and so we must change with it. But to me, this is a wonderful thing. Imagine never being in the same workplace...having different projects, ideas, notions, what-have-you, being thrown around across a six month time period. Transition periods that require you to relearn what you already know and to implement old skills with the new...it's such an exciting concept.

We have to be able to adapt....yep, flexibility is important.
The graphic designer is and will become a true renaissance personality.

Haha, I like the sound of that.

...Rob Rasmussen, Renaissance Man.

Written Content, BABY!

So what shoud I write in my portfolio, oh creator of large metal briefcase?

Baron suggests minimal text, perhaps identifying my work, introducing myself, explaining my ideas and processes, and speaking directly to my audience. Good stuff.

She mentions that some people can get away with no text on their sites, but this seems pretty difficult to me. For if you don't add text to your site, how is it that the potential employer will know anything about you? Can't they get a sense of your writing abilities and your personality based on how you word things via your site? Seems that way to me.

The resume stuff Baron talks about is pretty much old news at this point, making sure it's clean, less than two pages, and without error.

As far as cover letter is concerned, it should have a "standard salutation, a short reference to who you are and why you are sending your material, and a thank you in advance for their interest in" my work. Yay.

Cynthia's writing is getting better.

Hey look over there!
(This is where I sneak away)
:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home