Monday, March 27, 2006

Discrimination At Quinnipiac

I approached Professor Carolyn Nuzzi, my American Art (AR 105) adjunct-professor regarding the research paper I had gotten back four days ago. The letter grade on the paper was a B.

I told her that I felt I was unfairly graded on this paper.
Here’s why:

At the time we had to tell her our research topics, I was busy at the career fair, so I emailed her my topic of Andy Warhol. Over the course of the next few days, I received two responses to my email, both of which telling me that she expects more of me considering I’m a senior Interactive Digital Design major. And I quote, “Since you are an IDD major, I would expect an outstanding research paper on Warhol.”

I emailed her back stating that I chose Andy Warhol and not a museum trip because I’ve been to the museum’s in the area at some point across my college career. I mentioned that “as far as expecting an outstanding research paper from me, I’ll do my best.”

She had also mentioned in her first email that she hoped I would pick someone with more “edge,” to which I responded, “from what I do know about Warhol, though, he is pretty edgy. For me, pop art is something I only wish I could reproduce to the extent of Warhol. It will be fun and interesting to see where this topic will take me….that’s why I picked him.”

Her second response to me started like this: “Of course you CAN do him, but he is very broad and I've read many, many papers on him, read books and seen lots of his work so I would expect from a senior IDD major and indepth paper.”

I brought these emails to her attention, making sure to emphasize my stance that it’s unfair of her to expect more of me just because I’m a senior Interactive Digital Design student. I felt as though I wasn’t graded the same as everyone else…this, to me, is discrimination.

I went on to say that I did not ask or want to be treated differently, and that my knowledge outside of the class should not affect the grading AT ALL.

Her retort was that a lot of people did Warhol, and because she’s read a lot of papers, books, et cetera on him, people just didn’t do a good enough job describing him. If you recall, she wrote this in her second email, too.

Her response troubled me…and it sparked yet another question. I asked her: “If I had picked an artist that you knew less about, would I still have been graded the same?”

She could only reply that she “hopes” she would grade the same.

Excuse me…hopes?!?! I looked her straight in the eye and said, “wow, that’s fairly subjective, isn’t it?” Needless to say, she had no response.

I took the time out to reiterate to her my complaint that I was graded unfairly, bringing up the emails once more.

She interrupted me, stating that based on what I said in the email, she ASSUMED that I knew a lot about Warhol and pop-art.

Well, I quoted myself already, so take a look. Just because I said I wish I could reproduce pop art does not mean I know a lot about it. It also does not mean that I know ANYTHING about Warhol. The topic intrigues me, yes, but before doing this research, I knew almost nothing about him other than about his pop art.

But let me ask: Even if I did know a lot about the subject outside of class, should it matter? Her assumption was poor at best, and because she assumed, I feel that I was graded differently. Again, it seems unfair that more should be expected of me.

She tried to further her position by saying that she put a lot of thought into grading these, and I agree that she put some effort into it based on the number of comments she wrote on my paper.

However, based on what those comments were, I again feel she was asking more of me. Let us not forget that this is a 100 level class…her comments are things that I haven’t even touched on in a 300 level class. And yes, I still have the paper.

She said she could take a look at it again, but that her stance probably wouldn’t change. I said “no, that’s ok…a B is a B is a B, but I still feel I was treated differently, and that’s not fair.”

Clearly frustrated with my logic (which I think was actually pretty good, by the way), she said she “wouldn’t be widdled away on the subject.”

I told her that I was trying to make a legitimate complaint, not to widdle her away.

She responded with a very rude, “yes, that IS what you’re doing.”

I said “alright,” and walked away.

This is discrimination. That’s how I feel. This woman does not deserve to be teaching if she's going to be this subjective with her grading system.

1 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to know what artists your prof considers "edgier" than Warhol. Does she mean cutting edge artistically or lifestyle? Perhaps you should have done your paper on the reknown (only in her own mind) Maine artist, M.Libby, whose "edge" leaves viewers of her art teetering on the edge of nausea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home