Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I ran out of highlighter :(

Chapters 11 & 12, the essence, the life force; it's what the French call a certain...I don't know what.

No, seriously, I ran out of highlighter, which is kind of upsetting to me because I love my highlighter. If nothing else, it serves no greater purpose than to color outside the lines! Yay!

So anyway, the process of job searching is rarely a comfortable one, but that's ok because Roz is here to help. What would I do without Roz? I can't even tell you...

She lists so many things that I'm not even sure where to begin...
It is recognized that interviewees who are not seeking for an easy way out of the job search tend to want the experience of interviewing and recognize the advantage of exposure. I related this a lot to my IBM experience, actually.

If nothing more, I knew the interview process at IBM would be intense. I think there was something like fifty (I'm not positive, but pretty sure) people who applied for the internship, and when they narrowed it down to five with my name included, I tried very hard to prepare myself for the actual interview. I had convinced the designer and his manager, just as Roz says, that it was necessary to meet me--and clearly I had been approaching the right people to make sure this interview would take place.

I expected to get turned down. I really did. Not that I question my work by any means...but I know that we should never, never take a rejection as evidence of [our] self-worth.

But hey, nothing is achieved without risk.

So now...who am I? What am I best at? Is what I'm best at what I think I want to do? Am I sure about what kind of work I want to do? Where do I want to do it? Who do I want to do it for? What kind of position do I eventually want to hold, or do I want my own firm?

These questions...they're critical and revolve around our short term goals.

So what am I best at?
-I lean towards print design, although I've started to find a considerable amount of enjoyment in creating logos.

Is what I'm best at what I think I want to do?
-Yeah, there's two main things that I focus on...so I think going in one of those two directions is what I want to do. Print is really my first choice...always has been.

Am I sure about what kind of work I want to do?
-Yeah, of course. If I wasn't sure at this point, I think I'd be up the creek without a paddle. That's not to say that everyone NEEDS to know what it is that they want to do...but for me personally, it all has fallen into place.

Where do I want to work and who do I want to work for?
-This is where I am right now. I'm just now taking the time to research potential employers, so perhaps I'll revisit this with some 'moxy' in a later post.

What kind of position do I eventually want to hold, or do I want my own firm?
-This is more long term than anything else...but I do tend to think about title, salary, work hours, and overall lifestyle in accompaniment to this question. When you implement these correleations, you have to think about the rest of your life. But the truth is that I don't know where I'll be in five or ten years. Maybe here...maybe there. Lifestyle is a biggie when it comes to deciding what kind of position I eventually want to hold. But since I really am pressing myself for a non-philosophical answer where both sides of the equation are analyzed, I'll simply say that I'd like to be a creative or art director. That's where I see myself in the future...and right now that's what I hope to attain. The only problem is that I would always like to keep a sense of 'hands-on' with any projects tossed my way. A difficult conundrum.

Networking...good stuff. Say thank you after you drop your portfolio off to be looked over. Show it to the faculty here at Quinnipiac...maybe someone knows someone who knows someone, right?

Something I feel the need to quote: Any favorable response should, therefore, be viewed as an opportunity to create a larger network. If they were positive but didn't have an opening, could they possibly recommend other people or firms to you? Most people are really happy to try and help someone, and likely, one contact may bring you to several others.

As far as business contacts and tax deductibles, wow, Roz. Is. Awesome. I had no idea that you could write off things associated with finding a job I mean, I knew I could write off the computer and probably the programs, too, but I didn't realize transportation, lunches, faxes, printing of resumes, and various other supplies could be written. The key factor here is good, solid book-keeping!

The resume section that Roz has complied is pretty damn good, I have to say. I knew much of what she talked about, but still, for those who are actually reading, you should note that, the resume that accompanies a portfolio has to have the following characteristics: it must be clear, concise, clean (no folded corners, creases, or smudges) and without errors.

Any broken rule could lead to missed opportunities. Use lighter paper, both in color and in weight. I don't understand the need to have more than one resume, but hey, that's why I'm reading this book, right?

I'm not about to post everything that Roz writes about in her Sample Resume section...just know that I'll be coming back to this section periodically as I revise my existing resume.

Moving on...

Once you have gotten over the immediate rush of excitement at a job offer, you need to ask yourself if this position is really the one you want....the most important question should be: Do you want the work produced by that company in your portfolio?

Whoa...lots to think about here. It's not just about having a job lined up...it's about planning, you know?
It's about thinking ahead.

This chapter also mentions freelancing. I don't think I would like freelancing very much, but there again, how will you know without taking a risk? As far as setting goals for myself and where I'd like to be in, say, a year...I think freelancing is at the bottom of my list. There's just too many negatives in the forefront of my mind, especially that little thing about not having medical coverage. Minor point, I know. ....yes, that's sarcasm.

Roz's view on portfolio....no big steel briefcase necessary. Wait...I just thought of something. Somebody in my senior seminar & portfolio class is using a briefcase for their portfolio....could Baron's book be where he got the idea? Hmm...well, PB said it's been done before!

There are a couple of contradictions between Baron and Goldfarb here, and although they're small, they should be noted. One, Baron suggests throwing away some not so worthy projects...Goldfarb (aka Roz) says NOT to throw them away, as we may view them differently in years to come. I'm with Roz.

Two...Roz says zip drives are acceptable...Baron says never to use them. I'm with Baron.

Ladies & Gentlemen, the score is tied at one a piece.

And three? Well...I...uhh....hey look over there--it's VP Cheney having another heart attack!

...and the final score, Roz 2, Baron 1. Roz wins.

Basically Roz does an outstanding job of going through everything revolving around art, portfolio, and presentation. Good stuff. I'm partial to the bullet-points that read: reflects your individual goals; reflects your level of talent & experience; functions logically to the needs of the marketplace. This is, of course, in reference to your portfolio.

And quickly on to Baron...I wasn't overly enthused by chapter 6. Sorry Cynthia....my heart still belongs to Roz.

Digitizing work...how can it be done? Scan, take a picture, do what you need to do. But do so with precision when scanning...and have your photos be pretty damn professional. Good one, Cynthia.

I really don't have much to say other than this. I mean, I understand what Baron's trying to get across, but generally speaking, I don't think it deserves a mention. The basic gist is to get things done by not cutting corners...do it right the first time--this way what is tedious and wearying the first time around won't bite you in the ass and tell you to do it again because you messed up.

Oh man...can I say ass on this thing? Well, just in case I can't....here we go:

'nuff said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home