Sunday, February 26, 2006

Fuh Fuh Fuh Format.

There’s no right choice for a format…but oh yeah, there are wrong choices. Hmm…not sure I like that idea, but ok, here we go looking at format.

A novel concept brought up in the first parts of this chapter: Don’t use zip disks.
Well, I’d like to thank you, author, for telling me not to use an outdated piece of media. No, but seriously, I can understand the need to at least mention the warning not to use this type of material.

CD’s are commonplace, or so it’s mentioned. But I’m not really swayed to use a CD format, when I’m still moved by the whole, Print is Beautiful thing. I love print. I love being able to have a tangible ….ANYTHING…to hold on to and present. To me, it makes the viewing experience more pleasurable. There are obviously people who would disagree with that, but hey, it doesn’t matter. But if you do choose a CD format, use CD-R’s or CD-RW’s.

Mini CD’s….not an idea choice for me.

DVD…hey, I was getting worried that this wouldn’t be mentioned. But I’m convinced that a DVD might be too big for a print based portfolio. As the book says, a DVD is a great way to demonstrate moving image work. I will say that DVD’s are great. I’ve burned several DVD’s of my work, and it’s been worth it in all cases. Still, I’m wondering if DVD writers and readers are industry standard yet…and if they’re not, it’s not an ideal choice.

Hey, we could use laptops, too! No way! I didn’t think of this one. Just kidding. Ok, ok, drop the sarcasm, I know. Well, I suppose using a laptop could work, although I wonder if they’ll care that it’s a Dell instead of a Mac—assuming, of course, it’s a Mac based company/lab. What do you think? Will they care? Now, I’ve used laptops for many-a-PowerPoint presentation, and unless I rehearse time and time again, it hasn’t been worth it. Fortunately my graphic skills are enough where my professors have found my PowerPoint’s to be A-quality work….but again, rehearsals might take up more time than necessary, making a lap top a less than worthy choice.

If I really had to pick, I’d pick a CD. Then again, I’d rather just create a book as a secondary portfolio to my website.

For me, it comes down to taking the digital out of digital design. I’ve been talking it over with myself….and while that sounds crazy, I’ve been saying, “Let’s go beyond the digital realm and show potential employers tangible pieces of work in a well crafted book.” The way I look at it, employers spend enough time in front of the computer. How about I try to get them away from that to experience something different? A book…sure, it’s not entirely different, but considering the choices listed here, it sure seems to be.

The online portfolio is a must. We know. And that’s where we are right now.
Exciting? You bet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home