Friday, February 24, 2006

Who hired Snap, Crackle, & Pop?

Looking first at Advertising and Design, the first thing I feel the need to comment on is:
The myster of the design process is seemingly gone because the computer has made design more transparent.
Well, wait a second...how is it that the design process is gone? The reason our profession exists is because people cannot do what we do. In fact, the more non-designers I talk to, the more I hear, "I have absolutely no idea how you're able to do what you do." People just don't get it. Again, that's why our profession exists. The computer makes it more accessible to non-designers, but without the creativity, among other things, this transparency doesn't make it any easier to develop concepts.

The other thing, too, is that designing on the computer is the last step of the process. Think about what we go through prior to designing on the computer. All of the research, sketching, collaborating, et cetera. Do you see everyone with a computer and Microsoft Paint doing that? Nope, so I disagree with Roz here. The element of surprise still exists in designing, and the mystery is still a reason that I love what I do.

But enough rambling. Down to business.

Similar to previous chapters, we're left with lots of choices for designing positions, although in marketing they seem to have different 'titles,' if you will.

General Advertising is categorized as the advertising that is found in print and television.
Stop. Found in print? Good enough. Ok keep going...
This form of advertising is the one tha tmost peopel will associate with advertising, and the work of the advertising agency covers all advertising found in magazines, newspapers, billboards, radio, and television.

Outstanding! I love the fact that so much of print is covered in general advertising. Scratching my chin, I tend to wonder if this is something that I should pursue. I was kind of excited in reading this, because I have always found the connections between design and advertising somewhat intriguing. But lets move on, shall we?

Promotion represents an exceptionally broad area, one probably least known to most young designers, and yet offers the largest number of employment opportunities. Sales promotion is also the place where design and adversiting meet.

Time out. Did I not just say that I was intrigued by the connections bewteen design and advertising? Now, I finished up this short section by reading that the promotional designer has to connect these elements to produce a printed piece that will cry out for attention and sell an idea, service, or product.

I'm running out of words here. Outstanding times two! How's that?
Well, I had the opportunity to take a basic Public Relations class last semester, and promotions was covered in a certain segment.....I managed to find out that Promo. is a very lucrative business, and hence salaries may be higher. But even in leaving that out of the equation, promotion sounds very interesting as well. Where can I learn more, said the man with the blog.

Integrated Advertising started out as interesting, then I read that these groups require the talent of designers who can think of marketing strate--
Cue the Buzzer. You're out. Marketing strategies? No thank you. Roz mentions that this position could be for the designer who is looking to think on a different scale, and it's not that I don't like to think differently, but marketing strategies aren't something of great interest to me.

Sales promotion basically seems to include many print based outlets, and again, although it's advertising, we are seeing designers throughout the workforce under various and sometimes hidden titles. This seems to make the job market for designers very specific. Remind me never to try to use Monster again. Oh wait, I stopped doing that when PB laughed at me and said yeah, don't go there. I didn't get it until about a week ago when I put myself head first into finding a job. And so, as always, it comes back around to me thanking PB.

I've skipped over a couple of the other job areas, and I'm thinking that's ok because I don't have too much of a reaction on them other than not knowing that they existed and that I wish I had known this stuff in my freshman year. Or, perhaps, sophomore year.

Anyway, I have a comment to make. Go figure--and hey, isn't that the point of the blog?
One needs a healthy ego to handle the process says Sylvia Laniado.
I'd like to know how it is that you're supposed to be seemingly cocky but humble....
And I know that cocky sounds like a bad word, but really, what word would you use? I use it here minus the connotations of being conceeded. You just have to know your work is good. You have to know that you're in the position you're in because you earned it...and while it's important to always be open to new ideas, you still have to have some basic concept of self-praise.

On the page just before, Connie Wolf mentions not talking too much and keeping eyes and ears wide open. I can completely understand this, although I think it's just as important to ask questions as it is to remain quiet and listen to those around you.

Quickly onto Industrial Design...

ID...is...Product. Development.
That's it.

...

Well, ok, this field relies heavily on training, and for good reason. I doubt very seriously most people start out wanting to be Industiral Designers, but then again, most people I know want to work in 2D, not 3D.

Although this falls under being design, I don't think I'll spend any more time on it.

Oh, my dear Roz, how I appreciate you're introduction and short, short chapter on Industrial Design. Call me.

...the things I say for a good laugh. HA!

(Designing A Digital Portfolio gets its own post this week)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home