Monday, November 06, 2006

A Reply to Anonymous…


Anonymous said...

The oppisite of death is not life. It's birth. Life is its own with no oppisite. Love it and live it like there is no tomorrow. I am sorry for your lose and I am expierencing much of the same in my own family. Enjoy your new path with open eyes


Well, this comment caught enough of my attention to get me to respond.

I will say, first of all, that I have a very hard time taking people serious when they can’t spell correctly. This only really qualifies for people who label themselves as nameless.

Yet, however mysterious you may wish to remain,, I’ll just say that I appreciate your response and I am sorry to hear of your similar experiences within your own family.

Your seemingly inspirational quote about “live it like there’s no tomorrow” leads me to have a pretty good idea of who you are, but in any event…

Everyone read on!

Now, I did say in my post that death is, in a sense, a rebirth.
I then added, “…hence, with every death comes a new breath of life.”

Does a new breath of life qualify as birth? I tend to believe so…or perhaps my wording is simply different than that of others. But I do feel that death leads to more life…life starts with birth. So in a sense, we’re saying the same things.

Why does birth have to be taken as a literal, “when you’re born” kind of thing? Why can’t we say that birth is the beginning of anything new to us? If my previous sentence defines birth, then new breath’s of life can be found everywhere…all around us…all the time. Doesn’t that make life just a tad more beautiful, even when it includes death?

But I’ll take it one step further. If, as you say, life has no opposite, then what balances it out? To quote a line from the Matrix trilogy, “Everything that has a beginning has an end.”

To quote Benjamin Franklin, “Nothing in life is certain except death and taxes.”

Funny as it is, think about it. Death is a constant…everyone dies at some point. So if death is the end of life, what does that make life? Birth is the beginning…death is the end. You’re right, anonymous, there’s no debating that.

I do, however, believe that it goes deeper than that. Birth and death may be opposites, but so are life and death based on their fundamental definitions.

I strongly believe that death is a constructor of life…I gather my beliefs on this from every day experiences. Where I see death, I also see new life. In the case of my grandfather, I saw his death…but I also saw his grandchildren with THEIR children in their arms. That, to me, is a form of rebirth. Obviously this is only one example, but I do find it to be one of the strongest examples ANYWHERE of rebirth.

As I said, death constructs life, life fabricates other life, life ends with death…repeat.

Actually, we could pick up where you left off—delving beyond your remark that life has no opposite—to say that everything within our lives balances itself out. Could that be it? Could it be that life is one big…thing…but all of the raw materials of our lives balance themselves out?

Let’s get a conversation going on this before I post another topic.

Responses make this worth it.
Please feel free to share your opinions, thoughts, and experiences.

1 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, unfortunatly when I wrote my previous statement, I was a under the influence of medication. Sometimes it makes focusing a bit more difficult. So I do apologize. As far as my identity, well you should be able to figure it out. Plus I always enjoyed our debates. We were close friends at one time, but enough of the past...moving forward.

At simple raw terms, birth is definded as begining, death is defined as the end. In the middle is what we have, and should cherish.

Now lets take a look at rebirth. In a physical sense, you can be born only once. In a more spirtual sense, yes you can be reborn. I agree with you there. You can always restart. Even in my theological beliefs, you can always restart. We are never stuck on the path that we chose.

To me you seem to make reference to influence.
"In the case of my grandfather, I saw his death…but I also saw his grandchildren with THEIR children in their arms."
After all of our passings, our live's well have a great impact on the future. The way we lived, the way we raised our children, the way we treated others, will be set in our children's minds, and in hopes, theirs. Even in worse case scenario, I would do my best to choose not to live my life modled after a negative influence. But yet that is an influence of themself of what not to do. "Death constructs life..." In that sense yes it does. Long after our deaths, our mark, our influence on our family and friends and the future generations will be felt.

Now to delv beyond death...life and balance. Sounds a lot like karma. What we do, we get back in return. Is this true? I have no clue. We all have made mistakes in our lives. Did we truly get paid pack in return? In some people's eyes maybe, in others no. Do all the good and noble things we do really matter? Did Mother Theresa really get rewarded for all the work she did for the less fortunate? Maybe, maybe not...but the influence of her life will live on for generations to come.

In a more scientific sense, balance is the most fundamental belief. You can not create something out of nothing. You must have equal parts at the begining and the end. Before birth there is nothing. Through whatever means, there is birth. At the other end of the equation, death and nothingness(keeping theological beliefs out of this one). By this we can look at life as the "reaction" or process between birth and death.
we can do much of the same with rebirth if we look at the past as the past and consider it "nothing."
But the path ends with the same. But there is a difference to "knowing the path, and walking the path."

I must say you pose some interesting questions that do require much thought. Its been a while. I was never really looking for a response. It just kinda caught my eye.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home